PDA

View Full Version : How powerful are habaneros?

flipflop
09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
I wore vinyl gloves while I stemmed and seeded 12 habanero peppers and the capsicum STILL got through to my hands. :verymad: :headbang:

But it was worth it. The Peach/Habanero sauce I made today came out perfect. :drool:

KatDad
09-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Good thing you didn't scratch your nuts. ;)

flipflop
09-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I had to wash my hands in half and half afterwards to take care of the sting.

grtrx
09-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Not sure what happened, hard to believe it went through the vinyl, but you can get small tears in vinyl gloves (the exam ones, thin like a condom). You can also get stuff coming in 'over the top' of a glove. One thing, once it is in a glove it is going to burn like hell... high moisture area, tight fit... sorry for your pain

flipflop
09-24-2014, 10:34 AM
I burned a vanilla candle right next to the cutting board to dissipate some of the fumes.

BTW: The above works great when cutting up onions. Keeps the eyes from watering.

BigO
09-24-2014, 11:04 AM
I'd use some Dawn on them to get any remaining oil. Twice, in fact. Dawn is a de-greaser and capsicum is an oil. What in the hell (literally, it would seem) were you fixing that you needed to prepare 12 habanero peppers?

flipflop
09-24-2014, 01:03 PM
A peach habanero sauce that is absolutely awesome. I can post the recipe for anyone who wants it. Great on pork or chicken dishes.

Briandg
09-24-2014, 03:00 PM
maybe twenty years ago I was in colorado, and got dried Habanero chili powder along with some salsa and some dried chipotles. Dude I got them from was a mexican. he started going on with some story about how he was packaging the powder, washed his hands, and hours later took a leak and put blisters on his dick. :rolleyes: Jeeze, dude, big deal. when I chowed down on them later on, I got blisters every time I farted.

Earlier in sept, I faked some certifications and bought a one oz bottle of refined capsaicin oil. Gonna load it into the fog machine with the glycerine.

No jaw breakers this halloween. No visits from the cops. I'm setting it up in the neighbor's yard and using the remote control that came with it.

carmine7075
09-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Had a few that seemed to have no heat at all, and some that almost literally blow my head off.

Most of the time, they are just really hot.

flipflop
09-24-2014, 03:13 PM
A habanero blow job? Kinky. :lol:

beevod
09-24-2014, 03:17 PM
There are habaneros that can register over 400,000 on the Scoville Scale

Briandg
09-24-2014, 03:23 PM
The punk that my kid is living with is always going on about how nothing can be too extreme. Never too hot, too sour, too bloody rare, so forth.

I wanted so badly to get some scorpion peppers and fix him some salsa.

"Now you be careful, this shit is really hot."

"whatever. I like stuff really hot."

(cut to scene of brian calling 911 while stifling laughter.)

beevod
09-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Habanero peppers are available in suppository form -- ask any pharmacist.

Briandg
09-24-2014, 03:47 PM
That ought to be a lot of fun for the BDSM crowd.

"you want it to hurt? It'll hurt!"

BigO
09-24-2014, 04:42 PM
The punk that my kid is living with is always going on about how nothing can be too extreme. Never too hot, too sour, too bloody rare, so forth.

I wanted so badly to get some scorpion peppers and fix him some salsa.

"Now you be careful, this shit is really hot."

"whatever. I like stuff really hot."

(cut to scene of brian calling 911 while stifling laughter.)

I've got a good crop of black scorpions I can send you to use if you want to make this fantasy come true. At least 10x the heat of a habanero and I've got fifty of them on my plants right now.

Potentially a funny story. My son is pledging a frat at UGA this fall. For a philanthropic effort, I made him a suggestion. I've probably got 20-30 different makes of homemade hot sauces on hand that range from mild to nuclear. Some are made with home-grown peppers and some that are even made with extract. I'm never going to use them all and the parade of new sauces never ends.

I suggested to him that his frat hold a hot wing eating contest among the Greeks. Get food services to make up a few hundred naked, breaded wings for them. Sauce them up in the frat house kitchen and distribute one of each wing among the contestants. Make a basket of about 20 per contestant and mix them up (so nobody knows which one is the mild one and which one is the winger-dinger). Set a time limit for finishing them all and let the manhood points be gambled.

Nobody knows which wing is going to be the killer (and there are various stages in between) and all of the contestants have to finish all 20 wings in 5 minutes. No milk, no water and puking within 20 minutes of the end of the contest is auto disqualification.

$50 to enter on behalf of your house, $10 dollar admission with unlimited keg privileges, and you have a fund-raiser for the ages.

Call it "the Ring of Fire Challenge" and you're home-free.

jazznut
09-24-2014, 04:56 PM
I generally take the first exit just before the sign for Vindaloo.

Nevertheless, I did make a dynamite hot sauce for pork ribs last night that contained some homegrown habaņero and jalapeņo peppers.

Briandg
09-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Jason, that sounds like a real party. I especially like the part of no puking for a half hour or a disqualification.

I can't imagine what it would be like puking it back up, after going down in the first place. Coming back up, it's going to have good old gastric acid mixed in...

BigO
09-25-2014, 01:03 AM
The "Ring of Fire" reference was more for the day after than it was for the actual event. I imagine popsicle sales would be trending up the next day.

Briandg
09-25-2014, 03:23 AM
I imagine popsicle sales would be trending up the next day.

:rofl:

I'd be so afraid to spend any quality time after that. How many people go into something like that thinking that if they can only make it through the eating, "I'll be fine" only to find out the next day how wrong they were?

One of the mexican places here offered a free burrito to anyone who would eat it. Thing was piled with habanero salsa. Got a free meal. decent food. That was the first time I encountered the ring of fire. It's happened once in a while since then, and every time it happens, I'm still surprised.

BTW, the assholes microwaved it to nuclear before serving it. It came to the table steaming hot, and I had to ask for sour cream and guacamole. They were determined not to give that damned thing away for free.

BigO
09-25-2014, 03:53 AM
If I knew then what I know now, I'd have spent less time with my textbooks and more time chasing 20 year old snatch. I had to work hard to get my GPA up. Looking back at it, my career was less important than indulging in young pussy.

I spend my days doing laundry, writing, and not making any measurable difference in the world. In retrospect, I could have had a few good fucks that might have made my becoming food for the catfish a little more worthwhile. As it turns out, I took life a little more seriously than it deserved to be taken.

Please pardon my crudity. I've been up since 3:30 and I'm a little cranky.

grtrx
09-25-2014, 04:30 AM
perhaps the difference we make in the world is best measured with a different yardstick. I say this knowing I see only my failures and knowing I have tried to make a difference. Hard to be the yardstick and measure yourself all at the same time... doesn't change how I feel today but I admit that I need to rethink my thinking one of these days.

BigO
09-25-2014, 05:08 AM
Meh. Changing my thinking is the task to be tackled. I walked the dog with my wife, wrote a bit, cuddled before the kids got home, shopped (got a bunch of stuff free with coupons) and put a good hot meal on the table.

That should be enough for a day.

flipflop
09-25-2014, 09:33 AM
All I was talking about was habaneros and look where we've gone. :rofl: