PDA

View Full Version : Chef

Cloud9Bob
05-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Wifey and I were bored last night so we thought we'd have a date. We went to grab a burger and then went to see Chef. I saw that it got pretty good reviews (and watched the trailer), so I knew it wasn't violent (big no-no for the Mrs.) so we thought we'd give it a shot. We were both very pleasantly surprised. Academy Award material it's not, but it was a fun, feel good movie that won't leave you depressed. I like cooking and it had some nice culinary scenes. It had a very Miami feel and parts were shot in Little Havana. Dustin Hoffman was in it, but his part was minimal...probably for box office draw. Sofia Vergara (http://us.cdn001.fansshare.com/photos/sofiavergara/sofia-vergara-wallpaper-hd-wallpapers-wallpaper-1785509550.jpg) was not difficult to watch, this I promise you. :naughty:

Ted
05-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Trailer looks fun. I've never heard of this movie, but, the cast is amazing (bit parts or not) ... John Favreau, John Leguizamo, Robert Downey Jr, Dustin Hoffman, Oliver Platt, Scarlett Johansson, Russell Peters (somebody!).

Gotta go see it.

BigO
06-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Wife and I just saw it and both liked it a lot. Favreau is proving to be a really talented guy in a number of filmmaking jobs. It's been out for 6 weeks, so I doubt it will still be running when Transformers blows in tonight, but look for it on DVD. Well worth the watch. There is a significant scene in New Orleans and they got it all geographically correct. Highly recommended.

One caveat: eat before you watch it, because the cooking in it can make you very hungry very quickly. We decided to catch the matinee before going out to eat and regretted it until we found a tapas restaurant. We made pigs of ourselves.

grtrx
06-26-2014, 06:37 PM
its one of the few movie I want to see... if you want a pretty fun movie about restaurants and cooking I suggest "Big Night" with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shaloub. Watching Tucci cook eggs at the end was a pleasure.

BigO
06-26-2014, 07:52 PM
That was a classic. Bourdain dubbed it the best food movie ever.

The only axe I have to grind is about the scene where he invites the critic back to have a special tasting menu, quits before morning prep, and then takes the ingredients back to his shitty apartment (which, by the way, being a one room apartment has a restaurant-quality stove-oven) and cooks the entire menu by himself in about 10 hours before going nuclear on the critic at the restaurant at serving time. Seeing the dishes he prepares, there's no possible way one man could produce that menu in 10 hours by himself.

Trust me. It would take a team of 5 people to do that much work in that amount of time. I'm not a professional chef, but I could cook like that if I had to and I couldn't produce a third of those dishes in that time frame even with the best equipment at my fingertips. Sorry, but you can't take a pork belly that needs to be braised for 10 hours to achieve that texture and do it in 8. Not and organize and cook the rest of the menu in the meantime. It was nice that he paid homage to Aaron Franklin's BBQ along the way. Aaron deserves any attention he can get.

I know, it's a picky cooking thing. But, if you know your ingredients and you have an idea of what it takes to prepare them like what his looks like, it just isn't possible. If Phil Caponi has seen this film, he can back me up on this, as he has professional training.

Now, I realize the average person doesn't know about things like this (and I'm not trying to sound superior), but it irked me a little bit to think that he could do what he did in about 10 hours. It was a plot-forwarder and can be forgiven.

The sweet-spicy wings at the tapas bar were particularly good and, since my wife doesn't really like chicken wings, I got to eat all six of them minus a single bite. She got almost all of the southwest spicy egg rolls for herself. The chipotle mayo sauce was really off-putting to me. The heartburn I am having before bed isn't much fun and the "flourless" brownie she ordered for dessert (which we almost never order) just plain sucked, AFAIAC. I'm still trying to sort out what the cheese was in the lobster mac-n-cheese, but it was so creamy and the orichetti (sp?) pasta was so small that it really resembled Velveeta, but stringy when fresh.

I love good tapas almost as much as I love good dim sum. Both are hard to find. This wasn't TV-worthy, but it wasn't bad. After watching this movie, I was really hungry for a great variety of food...but not lots of each dish.

grtrx
06-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I thought it was a good movie (the one Bourdain likes). Like I said, the eggs, really was a thing of beauty.

grtrx
10-15-2014, 12:12 PM
I saw Chef, really liked it and my thought was it really was respectful to chefs. Yes, it would have taken a team to cook all those dishes in the time allowed. I didn't see that as the issue. I saw it as progressing the plot, and being respectful to food, cooking, and professional cooking. The best scene to me was when the chef talks to his son about respecting the food, touching lives with food, etc.

I understand the feeling that it cuts out the actual time to cook, but I am not certain anyone would watch a Pepin tutorial cooking 100 items in the middle of a movie. Just my thoughts, worth the usual tuppence.

BigO
10-15-2014, 12:18 PM
I've let go of it, Jeff. It is my latest movie acquisition on DVD. I've watched it at least 5 times now (once with my 12 year old daughter that assures me the F word doesn't shock her). I think it is probably my favorite movie of the last 10 years after The Avengers. Great movie, great message, great soundtrack. Can't say enough positive things about it. My kids like it even better than the Buena Vista Social Club (which remains one of my all-time favorite soundtracks). I can't even listen to talk radio in the truck with them anymore. They want to hear Chef.

grtrx
10-15-2014, 01:51 PM
the soundtrack was stellar and didn't drown out the movie which is tough to pull off with music not created as a soundtrack.

grtrx
10-15-2014, 01:52 PM
and someone involved in that movie has amazing knife skills

Herf
10-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Maybe if it comes out on Redbox and one the kids shows up to set up the DVD player.

BigO
10-15-2014, 06:01 PM
and someone involved in that movie has amazing knife skills

Better than mine. In all honesty, I've got some nice knife skills. Nothing like what Favreaux exhibited in that movie. On a good day, I'd have cut myself at least twice doing what he dd. Hospital trip to follow.

flipflop
10-16-2014, 04:08 AM
Jan and I watched "Chef" last week on xfinity. Both of us enjoyed it; especially Jan cuz she's a sucker for feel-good endings. I thought the kid was pretty damn good in his role.

BigO
10-16-2014, 04:18 AM
In Flannery O'Connor terms, the kid was the father's redemption. Used social media to redeem what his dad had torn down in the same format. Not a bad message for a movie today.

Just don't watch it if you're hungry. You'll spend a fortune on take-out if you do. :yum:

Churchill
10-16-2014, 05:35 AM
I have to agree with you...excellent film. Even better if you're into food.

grtrx
10-16-2014, 07:36 AM
well acted throughout, especially the roles that were filled by actors known for over acting