PDA

View Full Version : No more Pork Butts

Osmond
04-05-2013, 09:43 AM
It is now a Boston Roast.

Also banned - Pork Chops.

"Under the new nomenclature’s reign — aimed at giving some meat cuts more razzle dazzle — a pork chop will become a ribeye chop or a porterhouse chop, while a pork butt could be known as a Boston roast. A boneless shoulder top blade steak will become a flatiron steak and a beef under blade boneless steak will become a Denver Steak. Ground beef will stay ground beef."

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/04/a-pork-chop-by-any-other-name-pork-beef-industries-rename-350-cuts-of-meat/

carmine7075
04-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Good luck making that change around here.

BigO
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm not crazy about it. Boston butt was never a butt at all, it's the upper shoulder. A picnic ham is the bottom half of the foreleg. The one good part is that they are going to label where the cuts come from on the animal. That could be educational for the public. Now, whether the public will accept the new terms remains to be seen.

Briandg
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
educating the consumer in this manner is just as futile as pissing on a volcano to put it out.

carmine7075
04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm not crazy about it. Boston butt was never a butt at all, it's the upper shoulder. A picnic ham is the bottom half of the foreleg. The one good part is that they are going to label where the cuts come from on the animal. That could be educational for the public. Now, whether the public will accept the new terms remains to be seen.

I think it does the opposite. How much clearer can you get when the old system labeled a cut a "boneless shoulder top blade steak" or a "beef under blade boneless steak"?

In the new system that will just be a "Flatiron Steak" or a "Denver Steak", and the average consumer won't have a clue what they are actually buying. Worse, for a time it will cause unnecessary confusion for those who know what they want, but won't know the newfangled marketing jargon attached to it.

Its marketing schmooze - an effort to class up formerly cheap, unwanted cuts - nothing more. Watch the names change and the prices jump at the same time. :d:

BigO
04-05-2013, 11:47 AM
I got news for ya. Our overseas markets for meat export are on hold with Russia and China over a little argybargy about a feed additive. Meat inventories are full. The cost of feed (because of ethanol and drought driving up corn prices) is up enough that the livestock that is being raised for two years' from now is many fewer than they used to be. Enjoy the good prices now and stock your freezers, because once that export kicks back in, prices are going to really jump for meats.

Perhaps this is meant to cushion the blow when the market forces make for a jump in prices over the next two years. I don't know.

carmine7075
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Honestly, we should join Russia and China and demand some changes. I've read a bit about our commercial agribusiness industry, and it is not pretty.

Prices can only go as high as the market will bear, and this market doesn't have much room for increases. There are a couple of ways it could go from there.

Gamle-ged
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM

"Under the new nomenclature’s reign — aimed at giving some meat cuts more razzle dazzle — a pork chop will become a ribeye chop or a porterhouse chop, while a pork butt could be known as a Boston roast. A boneless shoulder top blade steak will become a flatiron steak and a beef under blade boneless steak will become a Denver Steak. Ground beef will stay ground beef."

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/04/a-pork-chop-by-any-other-name-pork-beef-industries-rename-350-cuts-of-meat/

Sorry, I won't believe this until it's reported by the Associated Press... :naughty:

What next, Gingerbread Oreos?...

Herf
04-05-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm planning on buying some boneless loin pork chops for dinner on Sunday. I wonder what they are going to call them. I saw them in the meat case tonight when I picked up my steak. The sign just said boneless pork chops. The good news is they were still an inch and a half thick.

grtrx
04-05-2013, 06:55 PM
when all else fails, point and grunt.... ooo ooo ooooooo ahhhhh oooo yessssssss

alfa
04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
a pork butt by another name would smell...

Briandg
04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
snouts smell.

Well, that's what I've been told...

alfa
04-06-2013, 04:59 AM
there are vt's and there are vi's

grtrx
04-06-2013, 05:17 AM
So what's the accepted name for bung now?

alfa
04-06-2013, 05:18 AM
no matter how you cut it, menudo ain't a food group.

grtrx
04-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I believe the order is snout lip tongue hot dog souse menudo bung

However I defer to experts like brian on the nomenclature

Briandg
04-06-2013, 07:49 AM
alex, I believe that the question is "what foods need a lot of ketchup to be edible?

fvfanmc
04-06-2013, 08:12 AM
no matter how you cut it, menudo ain't a food group.
...and they sure aren't good singers...

Gamle-ged
04-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I believe the order is snout lip tongue hot dog souse menudo bung

However I defer to experts like brian on the nomenclature

That sounds like a scrapple recipe! Do you have the proportions?... :yum:

Briandg
04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
I've been seriously considering this question for days now. I have come to a conclusion. No matter what the decision is, I'm still going to be able to walk through walmart any day of the week and see pork butts all throughout the place, I guess almost anywhere but the meat cases.

SmoKerch
04-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Bung should be called "round steak".

Briandg
04-06-2013, 05:38 PM
tube steak?

grtrx
04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
my weiner has a first name, its O S C A R

Gamle-ged
04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Quit beating the tin drum...