PDA

View Full Version : Calamari vs Bung

grtrx
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/food-fraud-in-america--what-are-you-really-eating--202219209.html

well hell deep fried pig a hole can't be that bad can it?

gui_tarzan
03-11-2013, 02:00 PM
It is a form of bacon.

Jester
03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I'll admit to liking both.

Yeah I said it.

But when I order something I expect that is what I'll get. Try to serve me the more elastic part of tripe when I've ordered calamari and there is gonna be a problem.

Yes, I think I can tell the difference.

:o)
J.

Briandg
03-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm going to take my brother in law out to olive garden for calamari tomorrow and hope for the best.

"what's this shit, brian?"

"Go ahead, bobby, it's sort of like onion rings, but meatier."

bung, octopus, either way when he's through, I can tell him and he'll throw up in the parking lot.

Good times, man.

Briandg
03-11-2013, 04:02 PM
The old timers used to say "we used everything but the tail." Somehow, I doubt that the old timers ever laid a great big trencher of fried tooty hole on the table and said prayers of thanks over it.

If Y'all hadn't raised such a damned stink about what went into baloney and hot dogs, you wouldn't have to worry about where crap like this went. It'd be in baloney and hot dogs, not your $8 appetizer.

bsslack
03-11-2013, 04:08 PM
It's the age old quandry...

.....Grip or Clench. :dunno:

Plus, bad news for Muhammad, Yeah?

Cheers! :lol:

slack :caribou:

Jester
03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
The old timers used to say "we used everything but the tail." Somehow, I doubt that the old timers ever laid a great big trencher of fried tooty hole on the table and said prayers of thanks over it.

If Y'all hadn't raised such a damned stink about what went into baloney and hot dogs, you wouldn't have to worry about where crap like this went. It'd be in baloney and hot dogs, not your $8 appetizer.

The phrase as I heard it was "everything but the squeal" The tail is actually a choice morsel as are the ears and other odd bits.

The ability to use all of an animal artfully is lost on those who think that piece of meat grew in the grosto covered in plastic wrap.

:twocents:
J.

flipflop
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm going to take my brother in law out to olive garden ...

Just telling someone you're taking them to Olive Garden should make them puke right on the spot.

Briandg
03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrSL5MlDzNM

Mad Dawg
03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
You. Bastard. :bitchslap:

I will never look at calamari the same way again. xx(

OregonDuck
03-11-2013, 05:58 PM
If one can't tell the difference why would one care?

grtrx
03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
ever watch Bourdain in China with the chicken parts from the street vendors?

All I ask is that they wash well, maybe 3 or 4 times

Gamle-ged
03-11-2013, 07:05 PM
It's still relatively "high on the hog"...

grtrx
03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
It's still relatively "high on the hog"...

you been eating balls again?

Briandg
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I've just got this thing about eating certain animals and certain animal parts.

by products like that should be dog food. chicken feet need to be sold to china. If I have to ever eat some of the stuff that I don't want to eat, I would prefer that it be in hot dogs, thank you very much.

I'll eat carrots before I'll eat rectum. I'll eat dandelions first. I just want to preserve my sanity, knowing that I've never eaten anything that my grandfather would have pitched to his hounds.

grtrx
03-11-2013, 08:38 PM
So you want the Solyent Green Hot Dogs? Kosher?

grtrx
03-11-2013, 08:40 PM
so at TGI McFunsters do the Fun McBung Rings come with Bung Sauce?

Briandg
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Right now, there is this scene playing out in my mind. Charleton heston is being led out of a building, put on a stretcher, and he is carried away. He is screaming

"you gotta tell them! It's made out of assholes! Soylent brown is made out of assholes! You gotta tell them!"

Briandg
03-11-2013, 09:24 PM
bung sauce.

a new flavor of astroglide?

grtrx
03-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I think its a cajun thing brian

bsslack
03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
What's with this Hole-E-er than thou stuff.

Look, You ate the Hog Doughnut, we all ate the Hog Doughnut and nobody died. (that we know of) That's it.

At least we now know Why he never "put a Ring On It" :sing::headphones::moon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X-iuVYU3l4&list=PLC1B24C2E662B6F7E :trap:

Cheers!

slack :caribou:

Briandg
03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
isn't that abe from smoke in?

bsslack
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
isn't that abe from smoke in?

Yeah, He's the dude on the right.....like anything about that vid could be termed "right".

Add the "discovery" that as much as 70%+ of the other fish we consume is "mislabeled". Really? Are we so friggin PC that you cannot say what it really is? It's fraud, it's technically illegal and if most any other industry was so crooked they would be arrested and shut down. We'll give DC a blanket pass to keep this out of the OCR. It is actually the rule and the accurate ID of Fish, ect is the exception in the US.
Along similar lines, You cannot even get Real Honey in the US, unless You go to a specialty store or buy it directly from a local producer. I had no freakin Idea about this, til today. Virtually no National Chain in America has real Natural Honey. WTF?

We foolishly believed that the FDA actually DID something, to protect and inform us. What a sad yet expensive joke.

Pig Sphincter thread Jack-Off. :u:

Well OK, back to the business of Bung Appetizer Humor or "BAH!" for short. (Wink, wink, squeal)

slack

Mad Dawg
03-12-2013, 05:05 AM
Because if I pay for squid, I don't want hog anus. You might not care, but I do.

Briandg
03-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Add the "discovery" that as much as 70%+ of the other fish we consume is "mislabeled". Really? Are we so friggin PC that you cannot say what it really is? It's fraud, it's technically illegal and if most any other industry was so crooked they would be arrested and shut down.

Why is it "technically" illegal? you know better than that.

In fact, it is a large, widely spread criminal pattern, one that could result in numerous prosecutions under RICO laws, because the industry at every level all the way to some of the guys who put the price tags on the packages are in on the fraud.

AS was implied, it is a "victimless crime" if a criminal organization makes you eat pig intestine by fraudulent means and pockets profits gained by clear and audacious fraud. It's too hard to prosecute the cases. It's too big an issue. and too little money to make it worthwhile, since nobody involved but a few people know or care.

How can it be stopped? Have a huge group of people band together and hire lawyers. Do dna testing on as many samples of fish as they can buy at a single chain, nationwide. Then, file a multi billion dollar class action suit, based on the fact that 80% of all purchased samples were actually pork tooty hole or carp, and make a chain like walmart hurt like their balls were just kicked to the top of their skulls.

The reason for class action suits was to punish corporate crime and malfeasance when the traditional methods would not work. They were created so that large groups could recover money stolen by "unfair" business practices. The class action suit is the only way to stop this pattern of crime, by stomping down just as hard as possible on the last hands to touch it, in the full faith that the retail industry will, through self preservation instincts, will stop turning their tooty holes, or blind eyes to the practice, and make an effort.

Don't you wonder how these people can sell a million pounds of pig assholes a year, and not laugh themselves sick knowing that it's all being sold as seafood?

grtrx
03-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Gustav Swift is happy, and that alone should make us happy

I think the technical part brian comes from the lack of laws about labeling fish... the pork bung for squid is mislabeling as bung is not fish, not sure the laws in most places don't just mean fish is fish, ah a happier time indeed.

The FDA isn't what it used to be, sadly, and I will leave it as that.

And agree, if I pay for it I won't to get what I pay for, not some way to get me to try to try bung.

FInally, a question

What are fish sticks made from? Fish bung?

Briandg
03-12-2013, 06:57 AM
There are two problems the way I see it.

There's not a chance in hell that the consumer can recognize fraud this way. Most people can tell the difference between a porterhouse and a pork chop, but not 5% can tell the difference between perch and crappie on the cutting board, and probably only 1-1,000 or so can tell farm raised salmon from wild caught when it's on the plate.

How in hell could you enforce laws like this? each fish would have to be tagged as caght and followed through the entire chain from lake to plate, because all it takes is one lie anywhere along the line and the damage is done. Peel off the label that says "chum chunks" and replace it with "wild caught salmon niblets" and you just made an easy 500% profit and some stupid housewife introduces her husband to a new delicacy.

It's a battle that couldn't be won. As a bad computer once said, the only way to win the game is to not play it.

grtrx
03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
actually brian I believe they are talking about barcoding the fish as it comes off the boat

yes, the consumer can't know, which is why the FDA used to have teeth

Briandg
03-12-2013, 07:10 AM
that would certainly help to an extent. It would make wholesale, institutionalized fraud a bit harder, but once you reach the lower extremities of the problem, it's hopeless. The biggest problem will be at the grocery level, where a filet can be almost anything, and the temptation to "fudge" in the labeling is high. what about farm raised shrimp? is there a difference between that and gulf shrimp? The store here sells them both, but do they come out of the same box?

we all rely on the inherent goodness found in mankind.

Briandg
03-12-2013, 07:14 AM
I just remembered something. My mother, 40 years ago, used to buy "smoked salmon." Hell, it was white! All the time she was buying it, she knew damned well it wasn't "salmon," but bought it anyway because it cost a buck a pound.

The audacity of taking something that was maybe even shark and labeling it salmon just blew me away. at the time, she said it was probably carp. maybe it was.

grtrx
03-12-2013, 08:04 AM
The original concept of the FDA was to watch for mislabeling and misbranding (and mullet sold as tuna would be misbranding, sorry about that error on my part). It seems like that is a wirthy thing to do, and approve drugs. Some where the mission seems to have gotten lost as has a lot of the whole food/health inspection end of the world.

albino salmon, brian, you have a problem with it?

Herf
03-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Because you are being charged for a product worth more than what you are receiving. It is called fraud.

scubadoo97
03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Because if I pay for squid, I don't want hog anus. You might not care, but I do.

It doesn't make economic sense to serve hog anus when squid if one of the cheapest seafood items to purchase. Think of how many hogs would be needed for one serving of anus

I call BS on the article

Jester
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Very valid point.

I don't see it happening either, but it does make for an interesting thread.

:o)
J.

scubadoo97
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
If someone can't tell the difference between shark and salmon they are pretty stupid. Now Asian catfish is being sub for many species like snapper and even grouper.

Briandg
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
that was the point, dude. The "smoked salmon" was snow white. The audacity of putting white "salmon" in a meat case just blows my mind. and like I said, mom knew it was bogus, but it was cheap, and edible.

Gamle-ged
03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I happily eat scrapple, so I have no dog in this fight. I also eat at Chinese buffets, so maybe I do have dog or cat on the occasion...

Briandg
03-12-2013, 06:00 PM
saw lychees at a buffet once, daughter asked what they were, I told her it was the heads of itty bitty octopi. Now I can tell her that they are hog polyps instead.

grtrx
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
squid is cheap, bung is cheaper, bait is bait

alfa
03-13-2013, 04:10 AM
I'll have the stuffed jalapenos, thank you.

Mad Dawg
03-13-2013, 04:37 AM
It doesn't make economic sense to serve hog anus when squid if one of the cheapest seafood items to purchase. Think of how many hogs would be needed for one serving of anus

I call BS on the article
The repeated references to "anus," both here and in the cited article, are a bit of artistic license, a deliberate inaccuracy intended to add disgust to the equation.

Read the article. "Bung" is not hog asshole, it's hog intestine...chitlin' rings, pretty much a waste product (pun intended) of slaughterhouses, and cheaper than good squid.

A word usage analogy would be "vagina." People use the word vagina to refer to female external genitalia even though the vagina is an internal organ. It would be more accurate to say labia, vulva, or pudenda, but those would leave many people scratching their heads. (Not that vagina doesn't leave a lot of the lunkheads hereabouts scratching their heads through lack of experience, but still...) :lol:

BigO
03-13-2013, 05:11 AM
There's a local 'raunt here that serves a dish they call 'Bang Bang Calamari'. It's traditional calamari (done perfectly from scratch, BTW, not rubbery at all) and served with the same sauce you get on sesame chicken at a Chinese place. Very tasty stuff.

capper
03-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Bang Bang Bung has a better ring.

Briandg
03-13-2013, 08:02 AM
bada bing!

Gamle-ged
03-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Bippity-boppity-bung... :sing:

grtrx
03-13-2013, 03:16 PM
well I never imagined this thread going 3 pages, bung ho!

capper
03-13-2013, 04:04 PM
The circle of life.

SmoKerch
03-13-2013, 04:10 PM
"round" steak

Mad Dawg
03-13-2013, 05:37 PM
The circle of life.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :FOC: :applause: