PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage to Cole Slaw

Smokestack Jack
02-27-2013, 06:13 AM
I have this head of cabbage in the fridge for a week now and it needs to be served. Instead of cooking it, I thought about making cole slaw. You guys have any good recipes? The wife is out of town, so this is just for me.

flipflop
02-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Cajun Cole Slaw

5 tablespoons mayonnaise, heaping
2 tablespoons yellow mustard, heaping
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
juice of 1 lemon
4 each bell peppers, sliced
1 large head cabbage, shredded
1 teaspoon Tobasco
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 medium onions, grated
Put mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl large enough to hold complete mixture, but shaped so that the mixture can be beaten with a fork. Beat mayonnaise and mustard until combined. Add olive oil slowly, beating all the time. Beat until mixture has returned to the thickness of original mayonnaise.

Add hot sauce, continuing to beat. Add ketchup and keep beating. Add salt and garlic salt, beating all the time. Add wine vinegar (this will thin the sauce down). Beat this thoroughly, adding the lemon juice as you do so. Taste for salt and pepper.

Place shredded cabbage, peppers, and onions in a large salad bowl. Pour sauce over and toss well. This should be done about an hour before serving. Tastes even better the next day.

flipflop
02-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Jewish cole slaw

4 cup shredded cabbage
cup grated carrots
1 cup thinly sliced green pepper
cup water
cup cider vinegar
cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper
teaspoon celery seed
teaspoon mustard seed

Toss together the cabbage, carrots and green pepper. Gradually stir the water and vinegar into the mayonnaise. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, celery and mustard seeds. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss until well mixed. Chill 30 minutes before serving. Serves 6 to 8.

Recipe Source: THE ART OF JEWISH COOKING by Jennie Grossinger

flipflop
02-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Peach jalapeno coleslaw

1 bag of already shredded cabbage and carrots.

Dressing:
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream).
Add lime juice and the zest of one lime
Some salt and pepper.
Mince a jalapeno and add two diced peaches

Jalapeno-ranch coleslaw recipe

16-ounce bag slaw mix with purple cabbage and carrots
cup mayonnaise
cup sugar
cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix
1 teaspoon minced garlic
cup diced jalapeno peppers, pickled
2 tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped celery
2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons real bacon bits
1 tomato, diced
More bacon bits for garnish, if desired

Instructions: Empty slaw mix into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, buttermilk, dry ranch dressing mix, and minced garlic. Stir until smooth. Pour over slaw mix. Add diced jalapenos, red onion, celery, red bell pepper, bacon bits, and diced tomato. Toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle extra bacon bits on top, if desired.

flipflop
02-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Classic Creamy Cole Slaw

3 Tbsp. heavy cream
1 Tbsp. malt vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1/2 tsp. celery seed (optional)
1 small head green cabbage
1 large carrot (optional)
1/4 head red cabbage (optional)
1/2 red onion (optional)

In a very large bowl, combine cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, and celery seed, if you like.
Cut the cabbage in half lengthwise, remove the core, and cut cabbage into very fine shreds (you can use a mandolin, if you have one, but a very sharp knife and a steady hand work just fine). Add cabbage to dressing.
Peel and grate carrot, if using, and add to cabbage. Shred red cabbage and/or red onion, if using, and add to cabbage.
Toss slaw, lifting from the bottom of the mixture to bring the dressing to the top. Keep tossing. It will take awhile to thoroughly combine the ingredients, you want the slaw thoroughly and completely coated with the small amount of dressing.
Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste, if you like. Toss again to combine.
For a crunchy slaw, serve immediately; for a slightly softer slaw cover and chill for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Toss again and serve.

KatDad
02-27-2013, 06:27 AM
:yum: :u:

Smokestack Jack
02-27-2013, 06:38 AM
Wow, that was quick. Thanks Flip. I'm leaning toward the Cajun cole slaw, with a side order of Tums!:o:lol:

Seriously, that's the kind of recipe I'm looking for. I wanted to get away from the standard classic and Jewish slaws I've had for years.

flipflop
02-27-2013, 06:38 AM
Firecracker Coleslaw
Adapted from Simply Shellfish by Leslie Grover Pendleton

cup natural rice vinegar (unseasoned)
cup canola oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons sugar
4 cups finely shredded red cabbage
4 cups finely shredded white cabbage
2 red bell peppers, cut into thin slivers
cup toasted sliced almonds

In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar together with the oil, mustard and sugar. Just before serving, add the two cabbages, bell pepper and almonds and toss well. Season with fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serves six to eight.

sevenmag
02-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm becoming a fan of asian slaws but I don't have a recipe for you. My mother made some when we were down in January that was really good. I'll try to get it from her.

BigO
02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
My mom makes one that uses shredded cabbage and dry ramen noodles. You make a dressing of equal parts vinegar and sugar and add the flavor packet from the ramen. The ramen gets broken up into little pieces and then you add a handful of sunflower seeds.

flipflop
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
I've got one similar to what J mentioned above but FileZilla is down so I can't grab the JPG off the net yet.

Here's another Asian one I've made.

Thai Cole Slaw

2 Tbs grated fresh ginger root
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cups cole slaw mix with carrots
1 tsp sesame oil
3 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs lime juice
1 Tbs honey
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

MIx and chill.

I make Thai Port Burritos using this. Of course, one must cook the pork and then add the above to bring it up to heat and then serve in tortillas.

capper
02-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Sourslaw

Ingredients

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 large head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
1/4 cup flat-leaf chopped parsley

Directions

Combine oil, vinegar, sherry, garlic, sugar, salt, and 2 teaspoons water in the jar of a blender. Blend until smooth.
Place cabbage in a large bowl; sprinkle with parsley. Pour over oil mixture; toss until well combined. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

KatDad
02-27-2013, 12:57 PM
My mom makes one that uses shredded cabbage and dry ramen noodles. You make a dressing of equal parts vinegar and sugar and add the flavor packet from the ramen. The ramen gets broken up into little pieces and then you add a handful of sunflower seeds.
It's funny you should bring that up. The spousal unit made that last night. It's great! :yum:

capper
02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
That does sound good.

Haven't had napa salad for years, alway liked it.:yum:

Danno114
02-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Never been a cole slaw fan, but these recipes are making me :drool:

Herf
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Simplicity.

Cabbage shredded
Carrots shredded
salt, pepper, mayo to taste

I haven't found much need for more than that. I usually don't salt it until I'm ready to eat it. It doesn't get as wet in the bowl without the salt.

sevenmag
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM

I believe that to be it. Or it's at least very similar.

cigarfan
02-27-2013, 03:31 PM
That cajun cole slaw recipe....

:yum:

gonna have to try that myself.

Thanks for posting all the recipes.

:u:

flipflop
02-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Here's another one.

http://www.frippafroppa.com/cabbagecrunch.jpg

grtrx
02-28-2013, 08:32 AM
if life hands you a cabbage, make coleslaw

BigJohn
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
If life hands you cabbage, see if you can find someone who will trade it for something else... anything else... BLEH.

grtrx
03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
If life hands you cabbage, see if you can find someone who will trade it for something else... anything else... BLEH.

you don't eat much kimchi huih?

BigJohn
03-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Dude...
asian food is about 6th on my list of things to eat.
after pork
beef
chicken
steaks
any american fast food
french food

and right above hagis.

grtrx
03-01-2013, 08:15 PM
dude

galbi

RoomDog
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Cabbage?

Cook it in a skillet with butter, add salt and pepper.

My wife has an easy recipe for slaw. It's not traditional, but I like it better.

Shredded cabbage (she just buys the bags of pre-cut slaw with carrots in it).
Brianna's poppy-seed dressing
Bacon bits

Mix together to taste.

grtrx
03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
sub bacon fat for the butter... oh my

flipflop
03-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Dude...
asian food is about 6th on my list of things to eat.
after pork
beef
chicken
steaks
any american fast food
french food

and right above hagis.

Now y'all know why we who know bigjohn, lovingly refer to him as... Mr. Daring.

:wink:

BigJohn
03-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Hey now...
wife convinced me to have roasted brussle sprouts for our side veg. tonight... she said I'm in a broccoli / cauliflower / green bean rut...

SmoKerch
03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup creamy horseradish (a little more if you like it with some SNAP!)
1/2 cup sugar
2 T balsamic vinegar
celery seed: to taste
cracked black pepper: to taste

Yeah, I cheat and get the pre-packaged slaw mix from the grostore.

rookie139
03-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Kerry's (DrillK) ex wife used to make that....Oh man...so so good

BigJohn
03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Hey now...
wife convinced me to have roasted brussle sprouts for our side veg. tonight... she said I'm in a broccoli / cauliflower / green bean rut...
not a huge fan of Brussels sprouts either. even cooked with bacon and onions...