PDA

View Full Version : Durable kitchen knives

gui_tarzan
07-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I just sat through a short demonstration of Cutco knives and wondered if anyone else has heard of them? They are EXPENSIVE but have been around for 60 years and have a lifetime warranty. And they're insanely sharp with a different type of edge than I've seen before. It's serrated on some of their knives but not like a traditional cut. Each cut actually has three slicing edges instead of just the dip and teeth style. Very impressive.

BigO
07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
My mom has onf them...not sure how I would characterize it in terms of type. It's got a good hand-feel to it, it's quality steel and all, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy any myself. It's far from the first one I'd reach for in her knife block.

jefslat
07-06-2009, 01:54 PM
They are good knives. Mom gave us some last Christmas, and I have a couple that I "inherited" from my grandmother.

gui_tarzan
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I like the feel of the contoured handle, but I wouldn't buy them just for that alone.

grtrx
07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I found a nice set on cooking.com that is german high carbon steel (not stainless). I'm hoping they are nice, I've not had a full set I was happy with in forever.

The only demo that matters is the one where you use the knife in your kitchen.

Mad Dawg
07-06-2009, 03:36 PM
You want good, stick with the classics. Mrs. Dawg and I have a set of traditional Wusthof Trident kitchen knives that we bought just before our wedding. Those knives have served beuatifully for 23+ years now. A 1200-grit diamond steel and a 2000-grit Japanese wetstone keep them in shape.

Huey
07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
There was a thread like this a while back, and LabRatGDI suggested Warther Knives. I checked them out, thought they looked great, and bought a set. ~$50 per knife (IIRC).

gui_tarzan
07-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I know there was. I just didn't feel like searching for it. ;)

He showed me a comparable deal through Wusthof and it was three times the price. Probably twice as expensive once you figure in the normal selling price. About the only difference I could see is the Cutco knife has a lifetime warranty. When they wear out you send it back and they give you a new one. He said their expected lifespan is 7-10 years.

BigO
07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I fell for that with Xikar, too. Send them back for sharpening and they send you back a completely different cutter with Chinese steel instead of the German steel you bought originally.

I don't mean to imply that Cutco operates in any way in the same fashion, but I've learned to be skeptical of similar claims. The only exposure I've had with their product is with a knife in my mom's block, and while it was of good quality, it didn't distinguish itself as superior to the Victorinox or other blades in the block 35 years its senior.

That being said, I am satisfied with the blades in my blocks. They are of multiple brands, sizes, types, and constructions.

As far as I am concerned, if you like Cutco blades, buy them. They will certainly give you value for your money. The blades I have tried didn't feel right in my hands. Your mileage may vary. The same could be said for the Shun blades I have been gifted. Chefs love them, I'm much less indifferent.

Mad Dawg
07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
By all means, get what you like. As to the price differential, we paid $99 for our Wusthof set lo those many years ago, and I thought that kind of deal was not to be found any more. So I was kind of surprised to find THIS (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203185560&listingid=24244134&dcaid=17902) set, which is pretty much the same thing, for $225 shipped. That's less than $30 per piece (including the shears and the block), which is pretty damn good.

MIGSHEEP
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
OJ found a great set of these but some dudes in Vegas stole them...
Mig, What happens in Vegas.....

gui_tarzan
07-06-2009, 06:58 PM
By all means, get what you like. As to the price differential, we paid $99 for our Wusthof set lo those many years ago, and I thought that kind of deal was not to be found any more. So I was kind of surprised to find THIS (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203185560&listingid=24244134&dcaid=17902) set, which is pretty much the same thing, for $225 shipped. That's less than $30 per piece (including the shears and the block), which is pretty damn good.

That is a good deal. I'm not ready to buy anything right now, I still have my original Ginsu knives from the 1990s that still cut like a mother. But over the years I've misplaced a few of them so at some point I'll be looking and will look at all of those brands.

grtrx
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-4827-Piece-Stainless-Block/dp/B0006TJ7I6

as seen on TV!

LabRatGDI
07-06-2009, 07:39 PM
There was a thread like this a while back, and LabRatGDI suggested Warther Knives. I checked them out, thought they looked great, and bought a set. ~$50 per knife (IIRC).

How do you like them?

Huey
07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
They hold their edges very well, have a good bit of heft (I went with the 9" French chef's), and each does it's intended purpose very well. Had them for a couple of years now, and there isn't a blemish on any of them. A little light honing once in a while and they're perfect.

I'm sure other knives could do the job, but I find I really like the swirl design on them. Gives them a bit of character...a certain je ne sais quoi, if you will.

LabRatGDI
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I like that design, too.

Glad I didn't steer you wrong.

Huey
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
You'd have known if you had. I would have sent one of the knives to you, pierced through a dead rat, with a note that read, "You."

TommyBB
07-06-2009, 08:22 PM
My co-worker Fred, whom Jason knows well, uses his mother's Cutco knives she bought decades ago. He doesn't cook like many of you all, but Fred's a common sense guy who knows what he's doing. He really likes them and is comfortable with them. He says they hold a good edge and they've lasted at least 45 years, now, if not longer. That says a lot, to me.

His mother got them from a door-to-door salesman lo those many years ago.

LabRatGDI
07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
You'd have known if you had. I would have sent one of the knives to you, pierced through a dead rat, with a note that read, "You."

:rofl:

Huey
07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Don't go on thinking you're special or anything. I did the same thing to the woman at the DMV who put a "corrective lenses" requirement on my driver's license.

Of course, in that case, instead of a knife, I fashioned tiny spectacles and attached them to the rat.

gui_tarzan
07-07-2009, 03:31 AM
:FOC:

hockeymaniac
07-07-2009, 04:33 AM
I have a set of Cutco knives. I haven't had any problem with them. We received a sharpener with the set besides a bunch of other kitchen tools. I've been happy with my set and have had them for a few years now.

BigJohn
07-07-2009, 05:36 AM
I'm FRUGAL.
No knife worth 60$...

I bought these (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cuisinart-Prestige-19-piece-Knife-Block-Set/3834940/product.html)

Sharp as hell, seem to hold the edge (only had them a month now, but I use them a lot, and they get treated pretty badly by the family... which is another reason not to buy 500 worth of knives...)

casual
07-07-2009, 07:41 AM
My wife bought one... it was about $80 or so with a sharpener. Decent enough knife, but for $80??? Geez.

I like the Rada stainless steel. We got a small set for our wedding with the two washer sharpener. THese sharpen up very nice. Bought a small cleaver about 10 years ago for aroudn $10 from Rada that works great.

Found a link for those interested... http://www.radakitchenstore.com/

nvgc8
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
We purchased a set of Calphalon Katana knives 4+ years ago and I am quite pleased with them. They hold an edge well and are well made.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Katana-Stainless-Steel-8-Piece-Knife/dp/B000AAT6ZK

Mr. Mild
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
We purchased a set of Calphalon Katana knives 4+ years ago and I am quite pleased with them. They hold an edge well and are well made.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Katana-Stainless-Steel-8-Piece-Knife/dp/B000AAT6ZK

WOW! You save $0.04! What a deal!!