PDA

View Full Version : Baklava

Chastown
10-10-2007, 05:48 PM
One of my go-to desserts. I don't know how to bake/cook, because my specialty is in movie critiquing, but I do know how to eat, and this is one of them foods that can be abysmal or sublime depending on talents of the pastry chef. Any other baklava whores out there?

cbob
10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
One of the best things about Istanbul. :D
247 varieties of baklava available everywhere you turn around. :yum:

Baklava washed down with sips of raki.

Sipping raki and munching baklava while puffing the narghila (or a Partagas Presidente). :ppdance:

Curse you Chastown! Now you've got me dreamin' again. :lol:

Commander Bob
Who has a killer baklava recipe of his own but no filo in the freezer. :(

chipslave
10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I love baklava. I usually only get a chance to eat it when I dine at the Mid east restaurant in town. Some of the best Gyros around... :yum:

xavier
10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Love Baklava

But they vary in texture and taste tremendously from one country to another. Commander I am not a fan of the turkish or the greek Baklava. The real deal is made in the middle east. Real authentic baklava are made in Syria or Lebanon. Extremely flaky dough, baked to perfection, almost melts in your mouth, The pistachio or the peanut filling have no cinnamon and the syrup is just right not over powering .

A piece of that with some turkish coffee..mmmm heaven

I order it from a place called" Shatilla " in Chicago, where there is a big Lebanese community. Ships right to the house

debaire
10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
First time I had baklava, I didn't know it was made with walnuts....now I'm allergic to walnuts. It's a mild reaction, but I was sticking out my tongue and scratching it non-stop for a few minutes.

olateone
10-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Love that buttery goodness in all those delicate flaky crusts! :yum:

mike s
10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I love the stuff. Best I ever had was when I was over in Lebanon...complete with Turkish coffee :yum:

Kilobyte
10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I too, love baklava and have eaten it for many years. It is one of the many Turkish desserts that please the soul. The grocery store where I used to buy it no longer stocks it though. :( For those allergic to crushed walnuts, try the pistachio baklava. :yum:

RoomDog
10-11-2007, 04:18 AM
I sponsored a Turkish Captain during my Advanced Course. He brought his wife to the U.S. with him. You would smack your granny for a bite of the baklava she made.

Real authentic baklava are made in Syria or Lebanon.

I'd have to see some evidence of this. There's great debate on whether it's Greek or Turkish in origin (more likely Turkish), and I suspect the Levant countries got it from one of them (probably the Ottomans).

TommyBB
10-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Really like that stuff, all kinds.
Parshooter's wife did a creditable job on baklava, he once sent me some. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

MalkavianX
10-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Pure bliss :yum:

scubadoo97
10-11-2007, 06:26 AM
If anyone is interested in making this, I have a simplified recipe that requires no buttering of each layer, which is the PITA part and results in a near equal product.

TommyBB
10-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Absolutely, Alan.
Send it to Malicxv for the Cookbook, as well.

scubadoo97
10-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Baklava/Baklawa

For a 16x24 inch pan:

2 1lb Packages of Fillo dough
4 sticks butter
7 sticks margarine-clarified preferred
5 C walnuts/pistachios- what ever is available and fresh
1 1/2 C sugar
6 T blossom water or rose water
2 C simple syrup

For a 13x9 inch pan use half the recipe.

Grind nuts in a food processor, mix with sugar and blossom water and set aside.
Melt butter and margarine in a pan to allow salt and solids to settle and skim foam.
Prepare syrup and set aside to cool.

Ladle 1 cup of melted butter in bottom of baking pan.
Lay the contents of one Fillo dough box on top of butter all in one piece. You may have to trim the dough to fit the pan. No need to brush individual layers of dough with butter (what makes this recipe easy).

Spread the nut mixture evenly.

Lay the contents of the other box of dough on top and cut with a sharp knife.

Ladle the rest of the butter mixture on top (leaving the butter solids behind).

Bake @ 350* F for about an hour till golden.
Immediately pour cooled syrup over the whole thing.

Trblmkr
10-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I was over in Turkey for 3 years during the Gulf War. During that time I had to rent from the Turkish locals until base housing became available.

Our Landlords wife made some home made Baklava and brought it up as a welcoming gift to us. I can still taste how delicious it was to this day. I have never ever found a place locally that can make it as good as she did. Perfect blend, not to much on the sweet side or too dry.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

malicxv
10-11-2007, 08:14 AM
thanks scubadoo97,

I have added it to the cookbook, and updated it on the web.

scubadoo97
10-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I've made the half recipe and it came out very good. It was as easy as it could get. The hardest part was clarifying the butter. You can skip this step and try to get the solids to settle but clarifying is the correct method. Once your nut mixture is processed, it's just pour some butter down, slap half of the phyllo dough down, spread the nut mixture, slap down the other half of the phyllo, cut and pour the rest of the butter on and bake. Prep took all of 20 min at most.

The only problem is that it is too easy to make and that's dangerous

steak
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I love the stuff too .
My GrandMother was a Pastry Chef , she taught me how to make Baklava. One of the many things I learned from her along with life lessons , she was a wonderful lady .
the secret to great Baklava is patiance and quality ingredients .

RoomDog
10-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I've made the half recipe and it came out very good. It was as easy as it could get. The hardest part was clarifying the butter. You can skip this step and try to get the solids to settle but clarifying is the correct method. Once your nut mixture is processed, it's just pour some butter down, slap half of the phyllo dough down, spread the nut mixture, slap down the other half of the phyllo, cut and pour the rest of the butter on and bake. Prep took all of 20 min at most.

The only problem is that it is too easy to make and that's dangerous

I'll have to give that a try. One suggestion though: Use honey instead of syrup. More authentic (and better tasting, I think).

Huey
10-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I love baklava. I usually only get a chance to eat it when I dine at the Mid east restaurant in town. Some of the best Gyros around... :yum:

As Tina Turner once said, we don't need another gyro....

cbob
10-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Lay the contents of one Fillo dough box on top of butter all in one piece.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Philistine!

Get out of my kitchen. :sfreak:

You think Hell's Kitchen is bad? You wait and see what happens if you treat filo like that around me.
Lots of BIG KNIVES always handy.

Commander Bob
It must be the Greek part of me. :lol:

scubadoo97
10-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Cbob, this recipe was given to me by a Lebanese chef. Not the way my Grandmother would do it but worth a try.

picture (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce32b3127ccebe00060ebb2500000026108AZMmTFq5YtX )